Thumba chennagide massala dosa!
With a population of over 10 million, Bangalore aka Silicon Valley of India and The Garden City of India, is not a name that is unfamiliar to many. This megacity, capital of Karnataka, being an IT hub, has drawn people from various parts of India and even internationally, as the life of the city is anything but dull and boring. I have lived in Bangalore for 10 years and I still wouldn’t say that I have explored every nook and corner of its magnificence. Nonetheless, it’s a city that I call home and it has my heart because it has made me everything that I am today. It didn’t take me long to fall in love with this city because I was always infatuated with it. When my older sister was doing her medical schooling here, that’s when I first heard of this heaven down south. Known for its amazing weather and multi ethnicities, I always knew this city would steal my heart.
Till date, perhaps one of the hardest things I have had to do in life was to leave it all behind and more to Toronto, Canada. Now when I look back and reminisce one of the many things that I miss about Bangalore is its Beer culture and the food! Being a foodie, I have tried my level best to eat out and discover as many food joints that I could but there are some that have remained my forever constant favorite no matter what new opens up.
This blog is one of the many series to come on my individual perspective on some of the best bars/restaurants/cafes/ to try out. In this article, I aim to recommend some of my favourite South Indian Breakfast places that also happen to serve the best dosas!
1) Adigas or a Sukh Sagar – The reason I listed Adigas and Sukh Sagar is because it is conveniently located at various places and is the easiest place to stop by and grab breakfast on a friendly budget.
* Top Dishes People Order – Vada, Idli, Pongal, Filtered Coffee, Khara Bhath, Paper Masala Dosa, Lassi
* Average Cost for two – ₹ 350
*Location – Multiple Locations
2) Vidyarthi Bhavan – This 75-year-old restaurant serves the best Masala Dosa in Bangalore. The thick fluffy golden dosas, delicious potato filling, signature chutney and the unique manner its served by the waiters, makes this an unforgettable dish.
*Top Dishes People Order – Benne (butter) masala dose (along with saagu-masale), Puri-saagu, Idli Sambar, Uppittu, Chow-chow bath and Rave vade
*Average Cost for two – ₹ 150
*Location – 32, Gandhi Bazaar, Gandhi Bazaar Main Road, Basavanagudi, Bengaluru
3) 99 Varieties Dosa – Now this isn’t your typical restaurant but in contrast is a small ‘food truck’ concept that has become the answer to most people’s craving for dosa but with a twist in 99 of their different varieties.
*Top Dishes People Order – Schezwan Dosa, Paneer Cheese Dosa, Mushroom Cheese Dosa, Pav Bhaji Dosa, Chilly Cheese Dosa, Masala Dosa
*Average Cost for two – ₹ 200
*Location – Multiple Locations
4) Airlines Hotel – I like to class Airlines hotel as my destination dosa haven. Situated amongst sheltered Banyan trees; this place gives you a completely different experience.
*Top Dishes People Order – Masala Dosa, Filtered Coffee, Aloo Poori, Vada, Tea, Chole, Idli
*Average Cost for two – ₹ 400
*Location – 4, Madras Bank Road, Off Lavelle Road, Lavelle Road, Bangalore
5) Mavali Tiffin Rooms – This is one place that’s never empty so you better get there early and grab a seat. MTR thrives on its loyal customers because their dosas just takes your breath away.
*Top Dishes People Order – Masala Dosa, Rava Idli, Filtered Coffee, Badam Halwa, Vada, Thali, Upma
*Average Cost for two – ₹ 250
*Location – 14, Lalbagh Road, Mavalli, Basavanagudi, Bangalore
This, of course, is not the complete list as there is so much more to explore but just a few places that have won my tummy over and over again and never disappointed even once.
**Dish references and cost sourced from Zomato